Monday, January 9, 2017


she//her//hers or they//them//theirs

It's hard to write about myself as an artist, especially thematically. It's always been a part of my life, but an aspect I turned away from or hid, probably as a result of the way that my environment and society viewed artists

My art is tied to my politics and experiences, meaning that it was hard to make art when I was so deeply confused about who I was. I didn't have the language yet to call myself queer. My politics were a mess. I was hollowed by the violation of my body by medication and men. 

 I find it difficult to put into words the formation of my politics, my identity, and the intersections which lie between and have influenced my work, especially since I started college. But I credit my growing confidence to the wonderful and radical people who have supported, educated, and created with me. As McLuhan says "our new environment compels commitment and participation" (24), a sentiment which I strongly agree with.

All I find myself able to do lately is put my experiences into my art in whichever way feels right at the moment. Stylistically, this pretty much means that my art is all over the place. I never realized that art didn't need to be about the final project, so I've spent the last years focusing on the process of making my art. I've used my art to heal my mental health and express my frustrations with and examinations of systems of oppression and find myself drawn towards artists who do the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment